Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thank You Dean Carol Hawkes

I would like to extend my thanks and best wishes to Carol Hawkes, a dear friend of the arts and to me.

I received the following message from James W. Schmotter, President, Western Connecticut State University, "I’m writing with news about the progress in our search for a new dean for our School of Visual and Performing Arts. A hard-working search committee chaired by Professor Pam McDaniel completed its work last week and submitted the names of three candidates to me. After careful consideration of the committee’s recommendations, an evaluation of the candidates’ references and consultation with Provost-elect Jane Gates (who also interviewed the three finalists), I have decided to offer the deanship to Dr. Dan Goble. I am happy to report that he has, with enthusiasm, accepted. I believe that Dr. Goble’s demonstrated commitment to WCSU, passion for the arts, and leadership skills make him the ideal individual to move both the school and university forward in the years ahead. Both Dr. Gates and I look forward to working with him. His appointment will be finalized when the hiring freeze to which all state agencies are currently subject is lifted.

I want also to take this opportunity to express my deepest appreciation to Dr. Carol Hawkes for the leadership she has provided as Founding Dean of the School of Visual and Performing Arts. This venture would simply have not been possible without her efforts, and we owe her a great debt. We will all have an opportunity to thank her in person later in the summer for this and the many other ways in which she has enriched and advanced WCSU during her years here. Be on the lookout for an invitation.

In the meantime, thanks again to all who participated in this important process of leadership transition."

No comments: